C (2).png

Name/Gender Marker Changes


The Law Office of Crystal M. Richardson PLLC assists clients with drafting name change petitions due to divorce, marriage, separation, or simply because your birth name no longer suits you.

NCGS § 101-2 allows any person who wishes to change their name to do so, for good cause, and lays out the required procedure for name changes in North Carolina. This procedure includes submitting to the Clerk of Court a notice that you will file a Name Change Petition, Name Change Petition, Criminal background check (state and federal), and two affidavits of good character.

An order granting a Name Change Petition will allow an individual to change the name on their bank account, car insurance, driver’s license, passport, health insurance, transfer property, update medical records, school records, criminal history, employment references, will and other documents.


The Law Office of Crystal M. Richardson assists individuals seeking to align their gender identity with their legal documents, such as their driver’s license, passport, and birth certificate. North Carolina has one of the strictest laws regarding gender marker changes our country has seen: NCGS § 130A-118 states that:

“A written request from an individual is received by the State Registrar to change the sex on that individual’s birth record because of sex reassignment surgery, if the request is accompanied by a notarized statement from the physician who performed the sex reassignment surgery or from a physician licensed to practice medicine who has examined the individual and can certify that the person has undergone sex reassignment surgery.”

This means that, you must obtain a notarized original letter from your doctor indicating that you have had surgical gender reassignment OR you must obtain a certified copy of your court ordered gender marker change. Both of these options present its own obstacles and challenges, which the Law Office of Crystal M. Richardson PLLC is readily available to assist you in navigating.